How To Plant Your American Meadows Pre-Planned Garden
Our Pre-Planned Gardens are the perfect way to bring professional garden design to your home. Our gardening experts have created plant groupings with complementary heights, flower color, and bloom time, so you can plant once, and enjoy watching your garden unfold during the season. Each Pre-Planned Garden includes reliable, easy-to-grow plant varieties, care instructions, and a convenient Pre-Planned Garden Map to make planting easy.
American Meadows Fall 2019 Pre-Planned Gardens
- Our Serene Woodland Pre-Planned Garden is the perfect solution to beautify a yard with very little sunlight. Abundant flowers appear in early spring, blooming in succession through late summer. Understated woodland flowers are a great choice for planting under trees.
- The Buzz And Flutter Pollinator Pre-Planned Garden offers a rich tapestry of colors and textures that will attract and nourish bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. Bold flowers bloom from mid-spring through fall against a backdrop of tall ornamental grass, which provides structure and four-season interest.
- The Natural Nectar Native Pre-Planned Garden will be buzzing with pollinators as butterflies, hummingbirds and native bees will pay frequent visits to the nectar-filled flowers. These low-maintenance native plants will burst with blooms from mid spring through fall.
- The Vibrant Shade Pre-Planned Garden (small) will create a peaceful shady retreat that always has something in bloom. Designed for areas with part to full shade, its colorful flowers and beautiful foliage will bring season-long delight. (Also available in Large)
- The Hello Sunshine Pre-Planned Garden will give you a sun-drenched paradise of blooms from spring through fall. Designed for areas with 6-12 hours of sun, this easy-to-grow garden offers cheerful flower combinations in yellow, purple, pink, orange and white.
Hooray, Your Plants Have Arrived!
- Remove plants from the shipping box and bags.
- Water plants thoroughly if they’re dry.
- For best success, plant immediately!
- If you can’t plant right away: place the plants outdoors in a spot with morning sun only. Water when needed to keep the soil moist but not soggy. Plant no later than 7-10 days after plants arrive.
Lay Out Your Pre-Planned Garden
- Find the right spot in your landscape for this garden’s light and soil requirements.
- Measure out the area needed in your yard – see reverse for square footage.
- Using your garden map, measure enough space for each plant, and lay out your plants. Each circle represents a mature perennial plant – resist the urge to plant young plants too close together!
- Give your garden at least 12” of additional space on the front and sides.
Each Pre-Planned Garden comes with a Garden Map that will provide you with a layout for the optimal planting arrangement. If you need to make adjustments for your unique garden space, that's not a problem! Generally, the best strategy for designing a garden is to plant your tallest plants in the back, and transition to lower plants in the middle, and lowest plants and groundcover in the front. That way, you’ll be able to see all of your plants in bloom.
Prepare Your Soil
- Great gardens start with great soil! We recommend using natural and organic ingredients to prepare healthy soil.
- Loosen soil in the planting bed 8-12” deep.
- For existing flower beds, mix a small amount of organic fertilizer and good quality compost in each planting hole.
- When preparing new flower beds, mix in organic fertilizer and good quality compost to add nutrients. We recommend Organic Plant Magic All Purpose Fertilizer
- Dig a hole for each plant that’s about the same depth, and twice as wide, as its pot.
- Remove each plant from its pot by holding the plant in place, turning upside down, and tapping or gently squeezing to loosen the root ball.
- Gently rough out the sides and bottom of the root ball with your fingers or the plant tag to encourage root growth.
- Plant with the top of the root ball level with the ground.
- Fill in soil and gently press down with your fingers.
- Be sure to place the plant tag close to the plant for reference. Repeat until your whole garden is planted!
- After planting, water each plant and the surrounding soil thoroughly.
Great work – now you can enjoy watching your Pre-Planned Garden grow!
Watering & Care
- Watering: Watering will depend on your local weather, so check soil moisture often. Generally, perennials do not need daily watering. Less frequent, deep watering will encourage deep roots for a resilient plant.
- Mulch: Adding a layer of mulch, leaving 1” around each plant, will help conserve soil moisture and prevent weeds.
- Fertilizer: Fertilize your plants with a low-nitrogen-and-phosphorus mix, once a year in the fall, when plants have started dormancy.
- Dormancy: Perennials will die back over the winter, and regrow from their roots the next spring.
- Spring: After winter, remember that not all plants wake up from dormancy at the same time. You can expect blooms in the second season (though you may see some in the first season).
- Growth: Perennial plants take 2-3 years to mature to full size.
What To Expect In The First & Second Season
Here is an example of the progress of our Monarch Magic Pre-Planned Garden from planting, through the first season, to the second season. It’s amazing to see how perennial plants grow!
Shop Pre-Planned Gardens
Songbirds need our help, and our Bird Watcher Native Pre-Planned Garden is a great way to create habitat for flying friends. Habitat loss has led to a significant population decline ...Learn MoreBird Watcher Native Pre-Planned Garden Bird Watcher Native Pre-Planned Garden$186.65Per Garden of 12 PlantsSongbirds need our help, and our Bird Watcher Native Pre-Planned Garden is a great way to create habitat for flying friends. Habitat loss has led to a significant population decline of birds and pollinators in North America, and native plants are essential for their survival. This garden features native wildflowers, shrubs, and grasses for attractive layers of color and texture, year-round beauty, and enriching habitat. Plant and enjoy the sights and sounds of songbirds in your yard. Garden of 12 plants.
Our Violet Dreamscape Pre-Planned Garden has a naturalistic appeal balanced by a refined color palette of cool white and violet hues. A mix of tall perennials with nectar-rich blooms...Learn MoreViolet Dreamscape Pre-Planned Garden Violet Dreamscape Pre-Planned Garden$226.65Per Garden of 20 PlantsOur Violet Dreamscape Pre-Planned Garden has a naturalistic appeal balanced by a refined color palette of cool white and violet hues. A mix of tall perennials with nectar-rich blooms to support pollinators are planted among a matrix of textural grasses and groundcovers. An elegant bird-friendly native shrub anchors the garden, with foliage that shifts colors with the seasons. Step back and watch nature do its work! Includes 20 plants and a garden map.
Inspired by naturalized meadow-style plantings, our Dreamy Meadow Pre-Planned Garden will catch the golden hour light for year-round visual interest. You’ll be drawn in by a so...Learn MoreDreamy Meadow Pre-Planned Garden Dreamy Meadow Pre-Planned Garden$142.65Per Garden of 12 PlantsInspired by naturalized meadow-style plantings, our Dreamy Meadow Pre-Planned Garden will catch the golden hour light for year-round visual interest. You’ll be drawn in by a soft color palette and alluring textures and fragrances. In spring and summer, butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds will flutter from flower to flower. Over fall and winter, grasses and dried flowers will attract birds and add sculptural forms to the landscape. Includes 12 plants and a garden map.
Our Hello Sunshine Pre-Planned Garden will give you a sun-drenched paradise of blooms from late spring through fall. Designed to thrive in areas with long hours of summer sun, this e...Learn MoreHello Sunshine Pre-Planned Garden Hello Sunshine Pre-Planned Garden$133.32Per Garden of 13 PlantsOur Hello Sunshine Pre-Planned Garden will give you a sun-drenched paradise of blooms from late spring through fall. Designed to thrive in areas with long hours of summer sun, this easy-to-grow garden features a luminous color palette of yellow, purple, pink, and white flowers with a variety of interesting forms, textures, and foliage. Enjoy watching birds, bees, and butterflies visit your garden for fun in the sun. Includes 13 plants and a garden map.
- At the end of the season in late fall/early winter, when you start to see killing frosts, the stems and foliage of perennials will die back.
- Shrubs will leave their stems and branches, but lose their leaves. Most dead leaves can be cut back.
- However, you can leave Echinacea and Black Eyed Susan seed heads through the winter to help feed birds, especially finches, and to promote re-seeding. Cut back in early spring.
- Ornamental Grasses also provide winter interest in the garden and shelter for birds and other wildlife. Cut back 2/3 of the plant in early spring.
Complementing Your Pre-Planned Garden
Since most perennials flower in summer, you could plant spring-blooming flower bulbs in your garden bed. These will flower in spring and die back in summer when perennial plants bloom!
A Reminder - Enjoy!
Perennial plantings are a satisfying, colorful, and low-maintenance way to beautify your landscape. So don't forget to take time to sit in your garden when the chores are done, to enjoy the beauty of all your efforts.
If you have any questions about your garden, please contact us!